Thursday, November 15, 2012

Culture shock OR where are the napkins?


After multiple mass emails were sent out and long winded Facebook posts filled my timeline, I came to the conclusion that a blog would be the easiest and most organized way to chronicle my time in Thailand.  I’ve been traveling and now living in Thailand for a little over a month.  So far this experience has surpassed my expectations in ways big and small and it’s still just the beginning as I have a four month English teaching contract to complete.  The first three weeks were spent attached at the hip to the other twenty something teachers in training throughout Phuket and Bangkok in a blur of class, beach, partying and waking up to do it again the next day- like a lather, rinse, repeat cycle.  As to be expected, we formed pretty solid connections only to then be separated into various provinces that none of us had ever heard of or could much less pronounce.

I’ve now been living in my town Phayao (sounds like pie-ow) for two full weeks and let me just say, it’s a VERY different world than the rest of my Thailand experience has been.  For weeks I was staying in tourist friendly areas where your average tuk-tuk driver speaks enough English to understand where you need to go and many restaurant menus are in English.  Now this is Thailand for real and it’s a whole new ballgame.  For starters, I’ve never been stared and gawked at so much in my entire life.  I feel like a celebrity wherever I go and am honestly overwhelmed from all the attention.  Phayao is a province of 400,000 but I’m one of the few “farang” (pronounced fuh-rang) meaning foreigners in town.  To add to that, unlike Los Angeles where your average girl is frying herself in a tanning salon, in Thailand and most of Asia for that matter, having fair skin is quite fashionable and “whitening” cream is in pretty much everything you put on your skin.  Therefore, with my snow white complexion, I’m considered quite a dish here.  No complaints on that front, it’s pretty nice to be told “so beautiful” wherever I go.  Literally, I get told on the daily from my students, other teachers and random men, women and children in town “soo-ay mahk mahk” (very beautiful).  That my friends will definitely never get old!  I could definitely get used to that.

It’s amazing to me that when you live in a new country, every single little thing is an exciting adventure or a daunting task.  Any sense of “normal” is utterly turned upside down.  From navigating the menus solely written in Thai, using the wonderful “squat pots” or the “bum gun” as my Canadian colleague so appropriately calls the spray hose attached to nearly every toilet here, or simply trying to find tampons which for some reason are impossible to come by in Thailand.  Every day is full of new challenges and exciting small achievements.  I have been learning the basic numbers “neung, song, sam, see….” and was ridiculously proud of myself when I asked a street vendor how much the noodles cost and actually understood her without my typical reliance on a calculator or charades.  Mind you this only happened once but it was still SO exciting for me. 

They say it’s the small things in life that bring happiness and I think that that is doubled when traveling.  It’s the seemingly insignificant moments like the smile exchange which crosses all language and cultural barriers, seeing monks bless people on the street while walking to school or popping some new unidentified concoction in your mouth and praying that it’s delicious (most of the time it is) or even that it’s just not revolting like the dried fish snack I had today that I thought was candy.  UGH, FAIL! 

Although there are many things that frustrate your average expat in Thailand, I’ve been shocked to find out that I can be surprisingly easy going and open minded when out of my comfort zone.  I think I’m adjusting quite well considering I don’t speak the language of 98% of those around me, I can’t wear tank tops because it’s scandalous to show your shoulders here, there are oodles of pork in everything which I never eat back home, I sweat profusely all the time, my peculiar “wet” bathroom which requires leaving toilet paper just outside the door, living up four flights of stairs, spending more time alone than I ever have in my life, the lack of Hot Cheetos (my guilty pleasure back home)-the list goes on and on. 

Despite all the change and adjustments needed, the ONE thing that has been my pet peeve so far is the napkin situation.  Imagine a mix between a tiny piece of scrap paper and one small thin sheet of toilet paper and you have what Thais believe to be appropriate restaurant napkins!  They do not do their assigned job well and especially because half the things I eat are crazy spicy, creating a leaky faucet situation, it is very annoying not having napkins handy!  It may seem like a silly stupid non-environment friendly thing, but I miss puffy American sized napkins.  I guess if that’s my only real complaint after being here over a month, I’m probably going to survive the next few months…maybe even thrive.                        



             

No comments:

Post a Comment