Friday, November 30, 2012

Pretty Pretty Thai Princess


The Loi Krathong festival was this week and it was one of the most fun days I’ve experienced here yet!  The (extremely) short explanation of Loi Krathong is that it is a day to pay respects to the water gods through the making of krathongs (miniature floats that you put onto the water) which always falls on a full moon night.  The impression I’ve gotten so far is that Thai festivals are kind of like American holidays on steroids.  Everyone really gets into it by dressing up in Thai traditional dress, showing a significant amount of patriotism and enthusiasm and setting off enough fireworks to make the average Fourth of July celebration look quite boring to be frank.  Somehow I was volunteered to dress up as what my co-workers kept calling a “Thai princess.” I’m not really sure why or how the name “princess” came into play as it was actually just traditional Thai women’s clothing (without a crown unfortunately!)  But when asked to dress up in beautiful clothing and avoid all morning classes, I didn’t hesitate for a second.  For years I’ve been dying to wear an Indian sari and although it was Thai instead of Indian, it was a very similar look.  I just so happen to be the height and size of the average Thai woman which is one of the many reasons that my coworker and I joke that I may have some Thai genes in me (doubtful…actually very doubtful in reality but fun to joke about!)

There are a few other reasons why we joke about this.  First off, I have very fair skin.  I love the girly, cutesy style that girls and women here wear (basically a lot of frilly, lacey, floral prints, bows and the color pink) which other Westerners often don’t.  I get cold easily and Thais always seem to be cold.  They wear long sleeves when it’s 90 degrees outside.  Kids actually wear puffy snow jackets to school when it’s below 80 degrees and I have students telling me they’re cold in class while I’m sweating all over!  My favorite color is pink which happens to be the “King’s color” so people wear it all the time to honor him.  I love spicy food and constantly have Thai people asking me “you can eat that??” in shock because they think most farangs can’t handle spice.  And the biggest indication that I might be a little Thai is that I eat ALL the time and I’m hungry every few hours which as I’ve observed is a very Thai thing.  Many of them eat for days and yet they’re still tiny and petite.  Oh genetics!  But I digress…

So I came to school with no makeup on and my hair wet; ready for my make over. Before I knew it, I was undressing in front of the Thai teachers in the corner of the television station room and being pinned and wrapped like a Christmas present (while trying to avoid being naked on the cameras which broadcast to all the televisions in the school!)  I didn’t feel quite like a princess, especially because due to scheduling conflicts, I ended up having to rush to do my own makeup and hair.  However, I did enjoy the whole event and I was told “teacha so beautifur” many many times from the teachers, students and parents.  I must have said “thank you” or “kop khun kha” a hundred times or more!  They were all delighted that I dressed up and I had many of them asking to take pictures with me which was definitely fun.  We then walked in a parade down to Kwan Phayao (the lake) so the students could do the Loi Krathong ceremony. 
One thing I realized that day is that I’m slightly glad I was never the supermodel type.  I know many young girls, including me, spent years fantasizing about being a princess, model or celebrity.  While I don’t know any women who don’t like to be told that they’re beautiful, it is somewhat exhausting being stared at and complimented so many times in one day!  Oh, I know what you’re thinking “Boo hoo! What horrible problems!”  But on a serious note, I’m not the type who likes that much attention on me and it did make me appreciative of the days when I have more privacy and notoriety.  

I ended up teaching the rest of the day in my outfit which so happened to tickle my students pink!  At the end of the day, I set down my imaginary crown and returned to the realization that I am not a princess (I’ll leave that to the Kate Middleton’s of the world!).  I am simply an English teacher in Thailand and for now, I am content with that.  Overall, it was a great experience and it was one that I definitely won’t forget.

       

Some of my students during the Loi Krathong ceremony. 
The real "Thai princesses" getting ready for the annual beauty contest.
All dressed up!
Women who grew up in the '90s in America will remember this!

1 comment:

  1. Loved reading this blog post! I love the outfit! You really are just PRECIOUS!

    ReplyDelete