Sunday, January 6, 2013

"All that we are is a result of what we have thought" - Buddha


            New Year’s is a time of letting go of the old and welcoming the new.  In many ways, I feel that that’s exactly what I’ve been doing for the last 90 days that I’ve been in Thailand, welcoming all kinds of changes and new experiences while releasing what is comfortable and familiar.  I also feel that because this experience is jam packed with encountering so many differences and challenges, I’ve been forced to be present most of the time.  Thinking about home or the past have not been a big part of my time here in Thailand although I have recently been obsessing about the future.
            When a new year begins, we often reflect on our dreams, desires, and goals for the 365 days to come.  As many people, I usually make a New Year’s resolution and just like most, I rarely follow through with it.  It’s hard to completely ignore the tradition but I’m over making a big declaration only to lose my motivation two weeks into the year.  However, I have experienced firsthand the power of putting down your visions and goals on paper. 
Last year, I made my first vision board.  I had heard of the idea for years and after many years of talk, I actually did it.  I printed and found magazine cut outs forming a montage of my heart’s desires.  When looking at it, a few things are quite apparent.  It’s obvious that my priorities are figuring out my life purpose and deepening my spiritual practice and relationship with God.  It is probably the most evident that I have a deep love and desire to travel the world.  Now mind you, I made this months before I knew that I was going to Thailand.  Since Thailand was always one of the top travel destinations on my bucket list, I put a few random pictures of Thailand that I found online.  I put one of a beautiful island that just completely captured the essence of Thailand in my mind.  The picture displayed the crystal clear blue ocean with the sun shining brightly and some of Thailand’s beautiful and nearly unfathomable cliffs and landforms.  Months later on a weekend excursion, I jumped off a Thai style boat and turned around and was completely in awe.  I was standing on Koh Phi Phi Island and it was literally the EXACT picture from my vision board and it was one of the most beautiful sights I’ve ever seen in my life.  I will never forget that moment.  I have learned for years about the power of the pictures and thoughts in our minds and our ability to manifest and create but I had never experienced a more tangible example.  That moment taught me that the vision we hold for ourselves holds a lot of power.    


            So in following of the tradition, my visions for this year are as follows.  I desire paid writing work, to travel as much as possible, to find work that I absolutely love and have fun doing, to deepen my meditation and prayer practice, to live with more of an open heart and to do more of the things that scare me.  This has been a year full of new and life changing experiences and I am open and ready for whatever 2013 will bring!    

New Year's with friends in Chiang Mai.
           

1 comment: