Wednesday, January 9, 2013

Pad Thai, sticky rice and tom yum! Oh MY!

Cow soi!!! Yummy!

Sticky rice.

Is it normal to get fat in Thailand?  Okay, maybe I’m not fat, but I definitely have gained a few since I began living and eating here.  Now let me just say that I’m not one who believes that we gain weight from “carbs” and I don’t believe in dieting.  I think EVERYONE has tried at least one diet in their life and failed.  Even if one is successful on a diet, the reality is, people deprive themselves of pleasure and are often living in fear of food which eventually leads them to binge and break the diet once they can’t stand it any longer.  In American culture, we are so obsessed with the idea that specific foods make you fat.  I believe that we can eat the foods that bring us pleasure but we must learn to be mindful of HOW and of course how much we eat as well as the emotions and beliefs we hold around food.  As with most things in life, I think it comes down to having a balance.
So with that preface, I admit that I have been eating way too much!  I’ve pretty much been gorging myself.  From oodles of noodles, fried chicken, a ridiculous amount of pork to the delicious pizza place that’s in town, I’ve been eating like a starving child most of the time I’ve been here.  Now I’m self-aware enough to know that I’m not just eating because the food is delicious, I’m definitely eating as a way of coping with being here and I know at times I don’t want to feel all the uncomfortable and lonely feelings that come up.  Although I’m a relatively thin person, I have had issues with emotional eating and overeating throughout my life.  For as long as I can remember, food has never just been food to me. 
Now putting that into the proper context, Thais are very weight conscious.  There are scales in front of every single 7-11 and they usually have them in many public restrooms and bus stops.  People will outright ask you how much you weigh as it’s definitely a point of interest and conversation in Thai culture.  Also, the standards for being thin are pretty rigid.  If you’re a little overweight or even just not a twig, people will openly call you fat.  They don’t seem to think of it as rude like we would in western culture which can be difficult to adjust to when you’re used to weight and body image being such sensitive topics back home.  Not only do my students continually point to my belly and scream out “BABY!” but I’ve had adults also ask me if I’m expecting.  I most definitely am not, it just so happens to be a spot that I hold a little extra weight.  I’ve also had a few experiences where Thais have told me that I’m “not too fat” which I guess is better than actually saying that I am too fat.  It doesn’t bother me that much but it just makes me a little more aware of my weight and size.
Now, I admit that I started this post to discuss over-eating and body image but now I honestly just want to discuss the level of deliciousness that exists in the food here.  To begin with, I love the flavors and aromas of Thai food.  There are always intoxicating smells anytime there’s food around (except when you walk by the dried squid stands which seem to be EVERYWHERE—not a fan!).  I can honestly say that I haven’t gotten tired of Thai food yet due to the fact that there is definitely a variety of dishes.  Even though I have noodles often, there are many different types and even the shape and size of the noodles can affect the taste of a dish.  My favorite things are sticky rice which I like with both sweet and savory foods.  I have had some of the BEST Pad Thai I’ve ever eaten in my life in my town at this one little food cart.  My two favorite meals are Tom Yum Noodles and Cow Soi.  Tom Yum Noodles are delicious noodles in a light broth with pork and hard boiled egg covered in crispy dried noodles—amaaaazing!  Cow Soi is a Northern Thai speciality that you can only find on the weekends at one little hole in the wall in my town but is literally the best Thai dish I’ve ever eaten!  It has a curry like thick broth with noodles and chicken with dried noodles on top and they always bring out cabbage, onions and lime that you can add to your own discretion.  It’s scrumptious!  I also enjoy the occasional Cashew Nut Chicken, Basil Pork with rice and Green Curry with pork.
One thing is for sure, even if I’ve gained weight, I’m eating well and some of the best food I’ve had in my life.  But maybe I should cut back just a little bit…                    
What my bowls look like often...
Tom Yum Noodles! SOOO Good!


Green curry.

My typical dumpling, noodles and pork breakfast.

No comments:

Post a Comment